6 Fitness Tips for Busy Moms
Use this mom’s tricks to fit exercise into your busy life.
I’m at that point in my life where I know several people who are new moms or moms to more than one young child. And one topic that keeps coming up is: “Help! How do other moms fit in fitness?!”
To get some answers, I went straight to my good friend Brittany, mother to two young boys and fellow fitness fanatic. Before her sons were born, she could frequently be found running at a track, strength training at the gym, or doing crunches almost anywhere. After, she had a lot more on her plate, between the kids, a husband who traveled for work occasionally, plus her own job. Instead of giving up fitness completely, she made some “mom adjustments.” Try her top six tips for yourself:
1. Do it first thing in the morning while everyone else is still asleep. It’s tough to get out of bed, but baby needs and the rest of your to-do list are still in check at this time.
2. Work out on your lunch break if the morning is no good. It’s healthy to get up from your desk, and you don’t feel like you’re taking away time from the kids.
3. Exercise with the kids if you need to. Do squats, push-ups, sit-ups, etc., while you watch them play—in the house or outside. Or take the entire family for a walk. (That’s Brittany and her 2-year-old on the way to their neighborhood playground in the photo!)
4. Make yourself do at least 10 minutes. Once you start, you’ll want to finish. And if you don’t have more time, 10 minutes is better than nothing.
5. Squeeze in fitness whenever you can. Do calf raises while you cook dinner or stand in line at the checkout while shopping. Do exercises while you watch TV. Take the stairs instead of the elevator. Little things add up.
6. Remind yourself that fitness is not vain. You are not putting yourself first to look your best; you are putting yourself first to feel your best. You at your best is what’s best for your family. Everyone wins.