Creamy Carrot Ginger Soup
Use your blender for the perfect texture.
- 6 medium carrots, cut into chunks
- 2 shallots, peeled and cut into chunks
- 2 tablespoons honey or maple syrup
- 3 cups low-sodium vegetable stock
- 2 cups water
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, smashed with the end of a knife
- 2 inches fresh ginger root, minced or 1 tablespoon jarred minced ginger
- 1 dash cayenne pepper
- 1/4 cup non-fat Greek yogurt
In a blender, puree the carrots, ginger, 1 shallot, sweetener, vegetable stock, and water until it reaches a creamy consistency, about two minutes.
Heat olive oil in a large pot on medium-low heat and sauté 1 shallot, smashed garlic cloves, and ginger with a dash of cayenne pepper. Cook until the shallots are translucent, about two minutes.
Add the carrot soup mixture and bring to a boil over high heat for 10 minutes. Remove from heat and season with salt and pepper. Combine the Greek yogurt with 1/2 cup of soup in a separate bowl, and stir into the soup mixture. Puree for one minute with a standard blender (be sure to hold the lid firmly in place) or hand blender if you want a chunkier texture.
Serve immediately garnished with fresh herbs and whole-grain bread, if desired.
Handy Hint: Need a refresher? Serve soup chilled the next day. Like most soups, its flavor develops the longer it sits.
|Saturated fat||0.9 g|
|Polyunsaturated fat||0.7 g|
|Monounsaturated fat||5 g|