Pumpkin Stuffed French Toast
2 - 4 min
A healthy breakfast that tastes sinfully indulgent.
- 2 thick slices (1”) stale whole-wheat Challah bread
- 1 tablespoon Neufchâtel cheese, softened
- 2 tablespoons plain low-fat yogurt, chilled
- 2 tablespoons pumpkin purée
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Generous dash of cinnamon
- 1 egg white, beaten
- 1/4 cup almond milk
- 1 tablespoon plain low-fat yogurt
- 1 tablespoon pumpkin purée
- Generous dash of pumpkin pie spice
Slice each piece of bread lengthwise without separating the halves and place a 1" ball of aluminum foil in the center of each slice. The foil will help make an open space for the stuffing (think pita bread). Put bread in a toaster oven for 5 minutes.
Remove bread from toaster oven, remove foil, and stuff each slice with chilled pumpkin filling. Whisk together the Neufchâtel cheese, plain low-fat yogurt, pumpkin purée, brown sugar, pumpkin pie spice, vanilla extract, and dash of cinnamon for the pumpkin filling.
For the batter, whisk together the egg white, almond milk, plain low-fat yogurt, pumpkin purée, and a dash of pumpkin pie spice in a shallow bowl. Carefully dip stuffed bread into the batter and coat on each side.
Heat an olive oil-sprayed pan and sear bread for 2-4 minutes on each side. Remove from heat and serve immediately with pure maple syrup or slivered almonds, if desired.
Handy Hint: If slicing up challah gets messy, use thinly sliced bananas to patch spots.
|Saturated fat||1.8 g|
|Polyunsaturated fat||0.1 g|
|Monounsaturated fat||0.6 g|