Cheesy Squash Casserole
Squash is an excellent source of carotenes, vitamins b and c.
- 2 pounds yellow squash, sliced
- 3/4 cup onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon reduced-calorie margarine
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup fat-free milk
- 3/4 cup (3 ounces) shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- coat baking dish Cooking spray
- 1/2 cup soft, toasted breadcrumbs
Cook squash and onion in a small amount of boiling water 10 to 12 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Drain; set aside.
Preheat oven to 350°.
Melt margarine in a medium, heavy saucepan over medium heat. Add flour; cook, stirring constantly, 1 minute. Gradually add milk; cook, stirring constantly, until mixture is thickened and bubbly. Remove from heat; add cheese, salt, and pepper, stirring until cheese melts. Add squash mixture; stir well.
Spoon squash mixture into a shallow 1 1/2-quart baking dish coated with cooking spray. Sprinkle squash mixture evenly with breadcrumbs. Bake at 350° for 20 to 25 minutes or until mixture is thoroughly heated.
|Saturated fat||1.4 g|