Classic Shepherd’s Pie
Add cauliflower for a contemporary twist.
- 1/2 medium white onion, chopped
- 10 ounces ground extra lean turkey
- 4 carrots, coarsely grated
- 1 cup fresh or frozen peas
- 1 medium head cauliflower
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1/2 cup non-fat plain Greek yogurt
- 2 tablespoons water, skim, or non-dairy milk
- Snipped chives, for garnish
Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
Drizzle olive oil in a large skillet and sauté onions on medium-low heat until translucent. Add turkey, carrots, and peas and cook until meat is no longer pink, approximately 6-10 minutes. Season with black pepper and desired spices.
Trim and chop cauliflower into florets. Steam for 6 minutes in a covered saucepan with 2 cups boiling water. Transfer to a food processor with olive oil, garlic, water or milk, and Greek yogurt and blend until creamy.
Transfer ground turkey mixture to a 9” glass pie dish and cover with mashed cauliflower. Bake for 25 minutes at 400 degrees, and broil on low for 5 minutes (or until topping is lightly browned). Garnish with chives and serve.
Handy Hint: Before baking, create a wavy design with a fork for authentic-looking cottage pie.
|Saturated fat||0.9 g|
|Polyunsaturated fat||0.4 g|
|Monounsaturated fat||0.9 g|