Festive Fettuccine Alfredo
15 - 18 min
Make your favorite pasta dish lighter with veggies and a surprise ingredient.
- 1 package whole grain fettuccine
- 1 cup raw cashews, pre-soaked (see below)
- 1/2 cup fresh Parmesan cheese, grated
- 1/2 cup reserved pasta water
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, smashed
- 1/2 medium onion, chopped
- 6 sun-dried tomatoes, chopped
- 1 cup mixed greens, loosely chopped
- Fried or fresh sage leaves, optional garnish
Prep: Soak cashews in 2 cups hot water for one hour in a large covered bowl.
Cook pasta according to package directions and drain, reserving 1/2 cup of pasta water.
Drain cashews and blend for 1 minute with cheese, pasta water, lemon juice, and salt and pepper to taste.
In a large saucepan, heat olive oil and fry garlic, onions, and sun-dried tomatoes for 2 minutes. Stir in greens and cook for 1 minute.
Add cashew mixture and heat for 1 minute, stirring constantly. For a thinner sauce: Add tap water, as needed.
Toss pasta with sauce and garnish with sage leaves before serving, if desired.
Handy Hint: Warm, crunchy herbs make the perfect pasta topper! To make fried sage leaves: Heat a tablespoon of olive oil and fry each leaf for 3-5 seconds until crisped.
|Saturated fat||2 g|
|Polyunsaturated fat||0.6 g|
|Monounsaturated fat||2.5 g|