One-Pot Meal: Hearty Mole-Style Chili
1 hour 5 min
Spiked with espresso, chipotle, and chocolate.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 yellow onions, large, peeled and thinly sliced
- 2 celery stalks, diced
- 2 carrots, large, peeled, and diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon instant espresso powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 chipotle chili in adobo, seeds removed, minced
- 1 tablespoon adobo
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 2 ounces bittersweet chocolate, chopped
- 2 large poblano or pasilla peppers, charred, steamed, seeded, peeled, and diced
- 28-ounce can crushed tomatoes
- 15-ounce can black beans, with liquid
- 15-ounce can white beans, with liquid
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 2 cups frozen corn
- 1/2 cup green onions, washed and thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro, washed and minced
In a large pot, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add onions and sauté until soft, about 10 minutes. Add celery, carrots, and minced garlic. Sauté for an additional 3 minutes.
Add espresso powder, cumin, paprika, cinnamon, chipotle chili, and adobo and cook for about 2 minutes. Deglaze the pot by adding the white wine and scraping the bottom of the pot to loosen up stuck residue.
Add the chocolate, poblano peppers, tomatoes, black and white beans, water, and soy sauce. Bring mixture to a boil and then reduce heat to a simmer. Simmer for 20 minutes and then add the frozen corn. Cook for an additional 15 minutes and then remove from heat. Season to taste with salt and black pepper.
Top with green onions and cilantro. Garnish with optional toppings.
|Saturated fat||3 g|
|Polyunsaturated fat||0.9 g|
|Monounsaturated fat||3.8 g|